MARABISDA Inc. (Mackay and Region Aboriginal and Islander Development Association) is an Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and Australian South Sea Islander community controlled organisation. The organisation was founded in 2008 by foundling member Greg Sutherland, and was developed to service and support these three specific cultural groups of the Mackay region. MARABISDA Inc.’s focus is to support and advocate for vulnerable Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and Australian South Sea Islander families and children. The organisation also aims to assist and support individuals and community, particularly in the areas of sport, culture, education and employment aspirations.
MARABISDA Inc is a not-for-profit organisation. We rely heavily on government funding and donations. In September 2018 MARABISDA Inc received Deductible Gift Recipient Status from Australian Tax Office.
MARABISDA Inc. uses local knowledge to build the capacity of the Mackay and region’s Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and Australian South Sea Islander community.
- Culturally capable
- MARABISDA Inc. directors, staff and programs provide high quality outcomes that meet local needs
- MARABISDA Inc. builds community capacity
- The organisation is financially sustainable and independent
- MARABISDA Inc. empowers families and carers
- MARABISDA Inc. strengthens connections and working relationships between services.
MARABISDA Inc. receives funding from the Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services.